Involved in textiles from an early age, Barbara Shapiro began weaving in 1975 in New York City. Barbara combines her rich knowledge of historical and ethnic textiles with wide technical experience in weaving and surface design. Her weaving reflects her travels and studies as well as her work in theater costume design.
After being involved in the San Francisco Art to Wear movement in the 1970s and 1980s, Barbara shifted her focus to non-functional textile art. Barbara’s wall pieces speak of historic textiles of many cultures, burnished with the patina of time and imbued with a very personal sense of beauty.
Barbara shares her knowledge as an educator and writer. She also serves on the boards of the Textile Society of America and Textile Arts Council of the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco and was a docent at the Museum of Craft and Folk Art.
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A.
- University of Lausanne, Switzerland, M.A.
- University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, M.A.
- Ecole Migro, Lausanne, Switzerland, Couture Sewing
- University of California, Berkeley Extension, Interior Design, CCIDC
- California State University, San Francisco, Post Masters Studies in Textiles
Barbara Shapiro’s work has been exhibited in galleries and museums across the United States and around the world—from San Francisco to New York, from England and France to Israel, Hong Kong, Korea and Japan.
See Barbara Shapiro’s Exhibitions
- All Things Considered VIII, National Basketry Association, Fruitlands Museum, Harvard, MA, September 19 to November 8, 2015
- Pairings: Collaborative Works by Two or More Artists, Healdsburg Center for the Arts, Healdsburg, CA, Collaboration with Chuck Quibell, August 19 to October 4, 2015
- Natural Dye Showcase, Mendocino Art Center, Mendocino, CA, August 3 to 28, 2015
- All Things Considered VIII, National Basketry Association, Grand Hand Gallery, St Paul, MN, July 9 to Aug 9, 2015
- Fiber Directions, Juror’s exhibit, Wichita Center for the Arts National Exhibition, Wichita, KS, March 27 to May 10, 2015
- Teacher’s exhibit, CNCH 2014
- Bay Area Basket Makers, Alameda Art Gallery, Alameda, CA, 2013
- FiberWorks 2013, Tulsa OK, July – August, 2013
- Four Weavers, Petaluma Art Center, Petaluma CA 2013
- Bojagi and Beyond, Seoul, Korea, August 2012
- Mending=Art, Borowsky Gallery, Philadelphia, PA, 2012
- Energy Nexus: Interpretations in Fiber, Hong Kong Visual Arts Center, 2011
- Winter Solstice, Fibreart Design Gallery, Palo Alto, CA, 2011
- Bojagi and Beyond, Museum of Craft and Folk Art, San Francisco, 2011
- To Dye For: A World of Saturated Color, De Young Museum, San Francisco, 2010-2011
- Carved Board Clamp Resist Dyeing, UNO Weber Gallery, Omaha, NE 2010
- Textiles, Glass, Clay, Wood, Metal: The Interface. HotShops Art Center, OMAHA, NE, 2010
- Web and Flow, Textile Center Joan Mondale Gallery, Minneapolis, MN, 2009
- Adorned Cloth: Contemporary Surface Design in Fiber Art, The Mills Building, San Francisco, 2008-2009
- Birds + Dwellings, San Francisco Museum of Craft + Design, San Francisco, 2008
- Weaving and Resist, Ybor Art Gallery, Tampa Bay, FL, 2008
- Beyond Basketry 2008, Dairy Barn Art Center, Athens, OH, 2008
- Baulines Master Exhibit, ArtWorks Downtown, San Rafael, CA, 2007
- Off the Wall,Translations Gallery, Denver, CO, 2007
- Mood Indigo, Hilmer Art Gallery, Omaha, NE, 2007
- By the Hand, Bedford Gallery,Walnut Creek, CA, 2006
- Baulines Guild Master and Apprentice Exhibit, City of Oakland Craft and Arts Gallery, Oakland, CA, 2006
- Convergence 2006: Grand Crossings, Fiber Art: Cutting Edge Grandeur, and Twist Exhibit, Grand Rapids, MI 2006
- Woven Scrolls and Baskets, Museum of Craft and Folk Art, Contemporary Craft Gallery, 2006
- CNCH 2006 Teacher’s Gallery, Modesto, CA, 2006
- Inspired By Marin, Baulines Craft Guild Exhibit, Marin Community Foundation, Novato CA, 2006
- Baulines Craft Guild Exhibit, Gualala Art Center, Gualala, CA, 2006
- Coming Home, Claudia Chapline Gallery, Stinson Beach, CA, 2005
- ACGA/Baulines Craft Guild 2005, 600 Townsend, San Francisco, 2005
- Woven Treasures By Barbara Shapiro, Solo exhibit at Treasure Gallery, Los Altos, CA, 2005
- Fiber 2004, Alameda Art Center, Alameda, CA, 2004
- Innovations in FiberArt, Sebastopol Center for the Arts, Sebastopol, CA, 2004
- Coordinator’s Award Meditative Visions / Contemporary Fiber, Two artists, Lakewood Cultural Center, Lakewood, CO, 2004
- Queen of the Plains, Convergence 2004, Denver, CO, 2004
- Mountain Majesty, Convergence 2004, Denver, CO, 2004
- Spirit of the West, Jefferson Unitarian Church, Golden, CO, 2004
- Craft Showcase 4, Museum of Craft and Folk Art, San Francisco, CA, 2003
- Tea Pot Redefined, Mobilia Gallery at SOFA, Chicago, 2003
- Braids and Beyond, The Braid Society, Knit/Stitch, London, Harrogate, UK, 2003
- Innovations in FiberArt, Sebastopol Center for the Arts, Sebastopol, CA, 2002
- Craft Showcase 3, Museum of Craft and Folk Art, San Francisco, 2002
- Tactile Dimensions: New Shibori, Knit/Stitch, London, Dublin, Harrogate, UK, 2002
- Shibori Now, Gallery Renga-kan, Yokohama, Japan, 2002
- Departure, Three artist show, Michael Martin Gallery, San Francisco, 2002
- Treasure Trove, An Invitational Fiber Exhibit, Convergence, Vancouver, Canada, 2002
- Kimono Kinship, San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles, San Jose, CA, 2001
- Remembering: Fiber Art Salutes the Past, University of St. Thomas, St. Paul, MN, 2001
- Fiber 2000: Indigo Bridging Cultures, Textile Arts Centre, Chicago, IL, 2000
- Tablet Weaving: A Renewed Tradition, French Cultural Center, Haifa, Israel, 2000
- Jubilation, William Mallory, Sr. Gallery, Art Consortium’s African American Museum, Cincinnati, OH, 2000
- Jubilation, Convergence 2000, Cincinnati, OH, 2000
- Fiber Artists of CHCH 2000, Aegis Gallery, Saratoga, CA, 2000
- Fiber Celebrated ’99, Albuquerque Museum, Albuquerque, NM, 1999
- Fiber 98, Textile Arts Center, Chicago, IL, 1998
- Small Expressions, HGA, Atlanta International Museum, Atlanta, GA, 1998
- 30th Annual Textile Exhibit, Olive Hyde Gallery, Fremont, CA, 1997
- Contemporary Religious Textiles, Friends of Fiber International, SOFA 1998 New York, NY, 1998
- 29th Annual Textile Exhibit, Olive Hyde Gallery, Fremont, CA, 1997
- The Continuous Thread: Three Generations, College of Marin, Marin, CA, 1997
- Stillwell Show, Awarded Best Textile, California State University, San Francisco, 1997
- Kimono: A New Look at an Old Form, Cabrillo College Gallery, Soquel, CA, 1996
- Timeless Expressions, Convergence, Portland, OR, 1996
- The Layered Surface, Cesar Chavez Center Art Gallery, San Francisco, 1995
- Tiny Textiles, Acme Gallery, San Francisco, 1995
- Custom Handweaver Anniversary Celebration, Allied Arts, Menlo Park, CA, 1992
- New thread & In the Park, Convergence, San Jose, CA, 1990
- Textiles: Basic Shapes, Bay View Bank, San Francisco, 1985
- Annual Juried Shows, Conference of Northern California Handweavers, 1981-2004
- Le Tissage Aux Cartons dans L’Egypte Ancienne, by Arnold van Gennep and Gustave Jequier, 1916. Cardweaving in Ancient Egypt, translation by Barbara Shapiro can be ordered for $29.95 using your PayPal account.
In addition to creating art, Barbara Shapiro enjoys writing about textiles. Her articles have appeared in numerous magazines and journals. See Barbara Shapiro’s publications.
Barbara Shapiro’s work has been featured in numerous books, magazines, and journals. See Barbara Shapiro’s published illustrations.
Barbara Shapiro and her work have been featured in numerous other media. See Barbara Shapiro’s other media.
- Walnut Creek Civic Arts, “Put a Hex in your Basket” workshop, Walnut Creek, CA November 2015
- National Basketry Organization, “Why Baskets Matter” Panel Discussion, Macalester College, St Paul, MN, July 15, 2015.
- Walnut Creek Center for the Arts, “All Coiled Up” workshop, Walnut Creek, CA, June 28, 2015
- “Slow Fiber Tour to Japan” Lecture, Ethnic Textile Study Group, De Young Museum, San Francisco, CA, April 26, 2015.
- “Sources of Inspiration: The Narrative Vessel” Worksop, Tucson Weaving Guild, Tucson, AZ, March 20-22, 2015.
- “The Craft of Textiles,”Artists Speak about Contemporary Craft, De Young Museum, San Francisco, CA., May 8, 2014.
- CNCH 2014, 2011, 2010, 2006, 2005, 2002, 2000.
- FiberWorks 2013, Tulsa, OK Sources of Inspiration and Basketry workshop
- Petaluma Center for the Arts, A Greener Indigo Workshops, 2013
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at College of Creative Arts, San Fransisco State University, Instructor, 2011 to present
- Maiwa Textiles Symposium, workshops and lectures, Vancouver, Canada, 2012
- Convergence 2012, workshops and lectures, Longbeach, CA, 2012
- “A Greener Indigo” three day workshop at Mendocino Art Center, Summer 2010
- Instructor, San Francisco State University, Explorations in Textiles, Summer 2007
- Three indigo dyeing workshops for Baulines Craft Guild and College of Marin, 2006
- Lectures for the Ethnic Textiles Study Group on Indigo and on Ainu Textiles, 2005 and 2006
- Panel speaker on Sculptural Textile Art, Alameda Art Center: Art Matters, 2004
- Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, Textile Arts Council lecture series, 2003
- San Francisco State University, Art Department, Textile Classes, Teaching Assistant and Guest Artist, 1997-2010
- Convergence 2002, 2012
- Numerous California Guilds
- Docent, Museum of Craft and Folk Art, San Francisco, 2001-present
- Docent lectures for Shibori: Tradition and Innovation, Museum of Craft and Folk Art San Francisco, 2001
- Docent lectures for The Fabric of Life, 150 Years of Northern California Fiber Art, 1997
- Wichita Center for the Arts National Fiber Directions, 2015
- Fiberworks 2013, Juror, Fiber Artists of Oklahoma, 2013
- The Barbara Shapiro New Beat Student Award, ISS Hong Kong, 2011-2012
- CNCH 2010 Juror and HGA Award Juror, Santa Clara, 2010
- Clay/Fiber 2000, Juror, Santa Cruz Art League, 2000
- Chair’s Award for Excellence, juror, CNCH 2000, Santa Clara, CA, 2000
- Textile Art 2000, Juror, CNCH 2000, Santa Clara, CA, 2000
- Baulines Craft Guild
- Textile Society of America, Past Board Member at Large
- Textile Arts Council Board of the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
- Black Sheep Handweavers Guild
- Handweavers Guild of America
- Docent at Museum of Craft and Folk Art
- Surface Design Association
- Friends of Fiber Art International